Sicilian Strata (Baked Egg) with Hot Italian Sausage
Servings: 8 to 10 | Cook Time: 1 hour
1 package (19 ounces) JOHNSONVILLE® Hot Italian Sausage Links, removed from casing
(Cut sausage link end to end, about three quarters of the way through. Flip sausage link over, grasp casing and pull off.)
¼ cup red bell pepper, diced
1 loaf crusty, Italian-style bread, sliced
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella, divided
8 large eggs
1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
4 ounces mushroom, sliced
¼ cup spring onions, sliced
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
3 cups whole milk
½ teaspoon (each) salt and ground black pepper
1) In a 12 inch skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Sauté mushrooms for 4 minutes and add the bell peppers and onions. Continue sautéing for another 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer vegetables to a plate and set aside.
2) In the same skillet cook, the decased links on medium heat and crumble as it cooks, about 8 minutes. When the sausage is fully cooked, toss the veggies back into the skillet, stir to combine and remove from heat.
3) In a lightly oiled 10 x 15 x 2 inch baking dish, arrange slices of bread to cover the bottom of the dish. Top evenly with half the sausage mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, ½ cup mozzarella and half the tomatoes. Layer additional bread slices on top to cover, and
top the remaining sausage mixture and tomatoes.
4) In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, Italian herb seasoning, salt and pepper to blend. Slowly pour egg mixture over layered ingredients.
Top with remaining mozzarella cheese.
5) Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to a day. Preheat oven to 325ºF. Bake until the center of the strata is set and top is lightly browned 50 to 60 minutes.
6) Sprinkle with parsley. Let stand for 5 minutes then cut into squares and serve.