A timeless recipe, lamb shanks that are slowly simmered with fresh rosemary, garlic, tomatoes, and red wine. Great served with roasted garlic mashed potatoes or basmati rice—as you’ll want something to soak up the flavourful sauce.
Prep Time: 15 mins / Cook Time: 3 hours
Serves 4 to 6
- 6 lamb shanks
- Cape Herb & Spice Sea Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Filippo Berio olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 large carrots cut into 1/4-inch rounds
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bottle red wine
- 2 cans (425g) La Corvinia whole peeled tomatoes with juice
- 1 300-gram (10.5 ounce) can condensed chicken broth
- 1 300 gram (10.5 ounce) can beef broth
- 5 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Sprinkle shanks with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium high heat. Working in batches, cook shanks until brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer shanks to plate.
- Add onions, carrots and garlic to pot and sauté until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in wine, tomatoes, chicken broth and beef broth. Season with rosemary and thyme.
- Return shanks to pot, pressing down to submerge. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours. Remove cover from pot. Simmer about 20 minutes longer. Transfer shanks to platter, place in a warm oven.
- Boil juices in pot until thickened, about 15 minutes. Spoon sauce over shanks.