Prep Time: 30 mins / Cook Time: 60 mins
- 1kg shin beef (cut into cubes)
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- 3 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick (about 50mm long or two pieces to make that length)
- 3 cardamom pods
- 1 lemongrass (cut into 125mm length and pounded)
- 1-cup thick coconut milk
- 1-cup water
- 2 teaspoons tamarind pulp (soaked in some warm water for the juice and discard the seeds)
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (very finely sliced)
- 6 tablespoons kerisik (toasted coconut)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons palm sugar or to taste
Salt to taste
Rempah (Spice Paste)
- 5 shallots
- 1-inch galangal
- 3 lemongrass stalks (white part only)
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1-inch ginger
- 10-12 dried chilies (seeded)
- Cut up the spice paste ingredients and then blend them in a food processor until a paste.
- Heat oil in a casserole dish or stew pot, add the spice paste, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, and cardamom and gently stir-fry them until aromatic.
- Add the beef and the pounded lemongrass and stir for about a minute.
- Add the coconut milk, water, tamarind juice, and simmer on medium heat, stirring frequently for 15 minutes.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves, kerisik (toasted coconut), and palm sugar, stirring to blend well with the meat.
- Lower the heat to low, cover the lid, and simmer for 1 – 2 hours or until the meat is very tender and the sauce has reduced by half.
- If you prefer a creamier rending add ½ a cup of coconut cream.
- Add salt to taste. Serve immediately with steamed rice.